Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Race, Rest, Repeat

Despite blowing up at the Marin Ultra Challenge 50k last Saturday, I feel pretty good this week. The legs are not protesting my recovery runs too much. My hamstrings are a little sore four days later, but an A.R.T. session this evening should have everything ready to resume training in earnest for the American River 50 Mile in under three weeks.

I continue to adhere to a low carb diet all day and during workouts, allowing for some carbs with dinner and no-holds-barred during races. My weight loss continues, albeit at a slower pace than when I was limiting carbs all day.

Wednesday weigh in: March 18th, 2015:
  • Weight: 189 (-1.3 lbs)
  • Body fat%: 16.87 (+0.16)
  • Ketone level: 0.7 mm
 
I will likely limit the dinner carbs as well in the next few weeks. I'd like to get back into optimal ketosis for AR50. My A goal is to go sub-9 hour. My B goal is to beat my 50 mile PR of 9:49 (set at AR50 in 2013). It sounds good on paper, but with the pain of last Saturday fresh in my mind it isn't low hanging fruit either! I doubt two weeks of speed work will pay very large dividends. None-the-less I plan to begin incorporating tempo runs and fartleks into the plan next week. Hill repeats and hill trail runs will round out the weekly routine.




No comments:

Post a Comment